Most people start a new diet by focusing only on the foods that they'll be eating. Though much or even most of what I've learned in my on-going quest for better health has focused on food and nutrition, I also know that food choices are a very personal thing. Chances are that very few people who want to move from obesity to a normal weight will be willing to eat the kind of diet I eat today. I really believe that we all have to figure out what works for us food-wise, and that getting from one point to the next in improving our dietary choices is a process. Getting healthier doesn't need to be about starving yourself all the time, eating foods you hate or being miserable and unhappy. In fact, I think that the opposite is true. As I began to lose weight and get in better shape I found that the food I ate was more enjoyable and satifying. Better health has paid benefits in every area of life. I am a much happier person than I was when I was obese. Starting out on a long term quest for better health does require dietary change, but it's best to start to build a new lifestyle framework first. That's why I so completely believe in FitDay, which involves setting very specific goals and closely monitoring eating and exercise habits. In addition to a tool like FitDay, I have come to believe that when and how we eat is in many ways as important as what we eat. Finding physiological homeostasis - life balance - requires giving our bodies the chance to work the way they were designed to work. Our bodies need food at the start of the day to kick-start our metabolic system, and they also need time in between meals to digest and utilize the food we have consumed. Most obese people have horrible eating habits. The problem isn't only what they eat, but when and how they eat it. I've read many books and scores of articles on nutrition these past twelve years. In fact, I've read just about everything I can get my hands on about this subject. My email inbox in filled each morning with links to one diet or fitness website, discovery or trend or another. It has become my passion. I love reading about it, enjoy reading even all the contradictory information that's out there. Depending on what study you read, some alcohol is either good for you or bad for you. Chocolate is either very good for you because of the polyphenols it contains, or bad for you because of it's high inherent fat and caffeine. We all see this kind of thing on a regular basis. One study says something and two years later another study contradicts it. The "experts" can't seem to make up their minds so how can we? I've found that some experts have more expertise than others. No, some have much more expertise than others. Though I'm a fan of several different authors, the one author and "expert" that has helped me the most is a board-certified clinical nutritionist named Byron Richards. His book "Mastering Leptin - Your Guide to Permanent Weight Loss and Optimum Health", now in its third printing, is one of the resources that I trust and rely on the most. I don't agree with everything he writes or advocates, and would love to have the chance to argue with him about some of his perspective. But, for the most part, when it comes to setting the framework for homeostasis, I'm convinced that Byron Richards is one of the rare voices that gets it right.
Byron talks a lot not only about what to eat but also when and how to eat it. He explains the why's behind it in great detail in his books, but you don't have to read Byron's books before you get started. Trust me on this - When you eat is probably as important as what you eat. So, a few principles or rules: 1) Never eat after dinner. Allow eleven to twelve hours between dinner and breakfast. Never go to bed on a full stomach. Finish eating dinner at least three hours before going to bed. (Mastering Leptin: Chapter 15.) 2) Eat three meals a day. Allow five hours or so between meals. Do not snack. (Mastering Leptin: Chapter 17.) 3) Do not eat large meals. If you are overweight, always try to finish a meal when you are slightly less than full; the full signal will usually catch up in ten to twenty minutes. Eating slowly is important. (Mastering Leptin: Chapter 18.) 4) Eat a breakfast containing protein. Breakfast is by far the most important meal of the day. (Mastering Leptin: Chapter 19.) 5) Reduce the amount of carbohydrates you eat. (Mastering Leptin: Chapter 20.) Some people have told me they can't make these life changes.
I have a firend who is obese like I used to be, and she tells me that she can't eat breakfast. She "hates it", she says. Eating breakfast makes her feel sick. She also tells me that if she doesn't eat before bed she can't get to sleep, wakes up hungry, or gets a headache. She's a good friend and terrific person, but I am very concerned about her health. The plain and honest truth is that what she's really saying is this: "My body is completely out of balance." "My liver is clogged with fat and accumulated poisons." "My pancreas doesn't know what it's supposed to do next." "My insulin/glucagon fuel utilization hormonal balance is completely out of whack." "My body is insulin resistant." "My thyroid hormone, growth hormone, adrenal hormones, sex hormones and melatonin levels are likely out of rhythm with my body's design." Anyone who says that they can't eat breakfast and have to eat before they can sleep needs to fix that before they start worrying about what they're eating. When and how comes first. You build the foundation before you build the house. Establishing these sound eating habits along with sound goals and growing dietary awareness is half of the battle. Master these concepts and you'll have the basic foundation for optimum health. What follows from these foundations is more energy, feeling better mentally and physically, and natural gradual improvements in diet and exercise.
I have a firend who is obese like I used to be, and she tells me that she can't eat breakfast. She "hates it", she says. Eating breakfast makes her feel sick. She also tells me that if she doesn't eat before bed she can't get to sleep, wakes up hungry, or gets a headache. She's a good friend and terrific person, but I am very concerned about her health. The plain and honest truth is that what she's really saying is this: "My body is completely out of balance." "My liver is clogged with fat and accumulated poisons." "My pancreas doesn't know what it's supposed to do next." "My insulin/glucagon fuel utilization hormonal balance is completely out of whack." "My body is insulin resistant." "My thyroid hormone, growth hormone, adrenal hormones, sex hormones and melatonin levels are likely out of rhythm with my body's design." Anyone who says that they can't eat breakfast and have to eat before they can sleep needs to fix that before they start worrying about what they're eating. When and how comes first. You build the foundation before you build the house. Establishing these sound eating habits along with sound goals and growing dietary awareness is half of the battle. Master these concepts and you'll have the basic foundation for optimum health. What follows from these foundations is more energy, feeling better mentally and physically, and natural gradual improvements in diet and exercise.


No comments:
Post a Comment